T20 World Cup 2024 pundit predictions: Will England defend title? How will USA fare? Who will high run charts? | Cricket Information

Date:

Share post:

Who will win the 2024 T20 World Cup? How will England fare? Who will end because the main wicket-taker and high run-scorer? And might co-hosts USA stun the watching world?

We have requested Sky Sports activities Cricket’s Stuart Broad, Eoin Morgan, Mark Butcher and Ian Ward, in addition to former Pakistan captain Urooj Mumtaz, for his or her picks, together with who they assume will maintain the trophy aloft in Barbados after the ultimate on June 29.

Watch the opening recreation of the T20 World Cup – USA vs Canada in Dallas – dwell on Sky Sports activities Cricket from 1am on Sunday (first ball 1.30am), with defending champions England starting their marketing campaign towards Scotland in Barbados on Tuesday June 4 (3.30pm first ball).

Please use Chrome browser for a extra accessible video participant

The Males’s T20 World Cup, in West Indies and USA, is dwell on Sky Sports activities between June 2-29

Who will win the World Cup?

STUART BROAD: It is one of many hardest tournaments to choose for some time. I see England, India, West Indies in their very own yard and South Africa as 4 sides to look at… and I reckon it may lastly be South Africa’s time.

EOIN MORGAN: I feel India are out-and-out favourites. Power-in-depth smart, they’re wonderful. I additionally assume England have a extremely, actually sturdy probability and Australia, come World Cup time, simply know the best way to win. They’re my standouts.

IAN WARD: I feel it is a massive match for India. They have been good within the 50-over World Cup final 12 months however simply could not recover from the road. That’s their greatest problem.

MARK BUTCHER: I feel England have gotten a implausible probability. I would not put it previous them successful the entire thing – and that is not simply me being patriotic. Notably as they’ve now obtained Jofra Archer again across the group – one man should not make that a lot distinction, however he actually does.

UROOJ MUMTAZ: It is all the time tough to look previous Australia. I feel they’re in all probability barely forward of the remainder to raise that trophy.

Highlights of England’s seven-wicket win over Pakistan at The Kia Oval of their closing match earlier than the T20 World Cup

How will England do?

BROAD: They’re defending T20 champions. Clearly the 50-over World Cup was a disappointment, however they’re very totally different codecs – in ODIs, you want about six gamers to have a superb recreation, whereas T20 you’ll be able to win with solely a pair firing – and England have gamers like Jos Buttler and Jofra Archer who’re pure match-winners.

MORGAN: They will have learnt an enormous quantity from the ODI World Cup expertise. They acknowledge errors have been made alongside the best way they usually’ve rectified that since, each when it comes to consistency of choice and readability of message in what they’re making an attempt to do. The expectation remains to be very excessive, and justifiably so due to the standard that they’ve.

WARD: I feel, fairly merely, they should be within the closing 4. That is a naked minimal, given the expertise of their squad. They’re nicely able to successful it once more… however we have to see everybody entering into the identical path. That was not the case in final 12 months’s 50-over World Cup.

MUMTAZ: I feel England have gotten sufficient firepower and lots of gamers in actually good kind. I see them within the closing 4, if not the ultimate two, for certain.

Commentator Andrew Leonard believes there’s potential for USA to change into the very best affiliate nation in world cricket

What can we anticipate from co-hosts USA?

BROAD: It is actually thrilling, I feel, to have probably the most iconic video games in cricket, India versus Pakistan, in New York. That might be such an important day and finally we wish the sport of cricket to develop worldwide as a lot as we are able to.

MORGAN: They are a good workforce and can go below the radar – there’s the ‘unknown issue’ which can work to their benefit. If they will get that first victory, that can give them an enormous quantity of confidence, ideally in that opening recreation towards Canada. They’re a good looking story.

MUMTAZ: India vs Pakistan is a blockbuster anyplace however once they play in New York it turns into a worldwide blockbuster as a result of it should entice and encourage a brand new viewers to the sport. As for the US workforce, their current outcomes – two wins over Bangladesh – are phenomenal. You take heed to the feedback popping out of the US camp, they’re there to spring a shock.

BUTCHER: All eyes are going to be on that India-Pakistan recreation in New York. Ticket costs for which can be horrifying! If the sport reveals the very best of itself in that a part of the world, then after all you’ve got obtained one other market to develop into.

WARD: I by no means thought I would say we might be enjoying cricket in Dallas! The stadiums look completely fabulous, I’ve to say, and the People know the best way to placed on a present. They’ve simply crushed Bangladesh, so that they’re able to placing a few victories collectively and getting some curiosity, which is mainly why it is within the States, is not it?

Afghanistan's Azmatullah Omarzai (Associated Press)
Picture:
All-rounder Azmatullah Omarzai is considered one of a lot of high-quality gamers within the Afghanistan squad

Workforce more than likely to spring an upset?

BROAD: You may’t even look now at Afghanistan as being underdogs, as a result of they have so many match-winners. In years to come back, in the event that they hold producing this quantity of expertise, we’ll see them problem for trophies.

MORGAN: I am listening to lots of good issues about Nepal. And, coming at this a special method, there’s two groups I might take a look at who may show shock winners of the match… West Indies and Pakistan. For the co-hosts, the one space they are a bit quick is within the seam division, and Pakistan you’ll be able to by no means write off. They’ll entrance up and beat anyone on any given day.

Leonard tells the Sky Sports activities Cricket Podcast that the potential for the sport to develop in Nepal is big

BUTCHER: There’s all the time shocks, T20 as a format brings the groups nearer collectively. It occurs in these World Cups increasingly more – simply so long as it does not occur to England! Nepal are those I would say are definitely able to springing an upset.

So far as groups who can maybe upset the apple cart, I feel the West Indies are a little bit of a wildcard. They have excessive energy proper the best way down the batting line-up; hopefully the house crowds might be there to help them they usually’ll placed on a extremely good exhibiting. I fancy them to have a powerful match.

WARD: Eire have proven they’re able to beating the large sides commonly. It’ll even be good to see the likes of Nepal and Oman, to see the place they’re at.

India's Jasprit Bumrah celebrates a wicket with Rohit Sharma (Associated Press)
Picture:
India’s Jasprit Bumrah ought to contend to be main wicket-taker

Main wicket-taker

BROAD: Jasprit Bumrah. He is such a risk with the ball.

MORGAN: I might lean in direction of a spinner. I feel the wickets are going to supply lots of spin and can in all probability gradual up, so I will go along with Ravindra Jadeja.

MUMTAZ: It is tough to look previous Shaheen Shah Afridi and Mitchell Starc. Each bowl within the powerplay, with swing and an outstanding wicket-taking means. By way of spin, I would put Rashid Khan within the combine as nicely.

BUTCHER: You do not look an excessive amount of additional than Jasprit Bumrah, whereas I additionally hope Jofra Archer is up there.

WARD: I am tempted to say a spinner, possibly Adil Rashid or Adam Zampa, as a result of I feel it should play an enormous half, however I additionally do not assume you’ll be able to look previous Jasprit Bumrah.

Watch the very best bits as Jos Buttler struck eight fours and three sixes in an innings of 84 from 51 balls towards Pakistan at Edgbaston final month

Main run-scorer

BROAD: I am going for Jos Buttler.

MORGAN: Jos Buttler. He is been in magnificent kind in current franchise tournaments and I anticipate him to steer from the entrance.

MUMTAZ: It is tough to look previous Jos Buttler. You’d think about additionally that Babar Azam might be up there, Travis Head is in elegant kind after which there’s the GOAT Virat Kohli. A type of 4.

BUTCHER: You hope that Jos Butler has a superb match. Virat Kohli’s kind within the IPL has additionally been outrageous and Heinrich Klaasen of South Africa might be probably the most impactful gamers.

WARD: An opener, or a minimum of somebody within the high three. England will hope that is Jos Buttler – he is the very best white-ball batter we have ever had and his runs are so very important to the workforce. Then there’s Travis Head or possibly Heinrich Klaasen of South Africa.

Sunrisers Hyderabad racked up an IPL-record whole of 287 this season. Will bat dominate on the T20 World Cup as nicely or will the bowlers chew again?

Pattern for the match?

BROAD: I do not assume the scores might be as excessive because the IPL, the place among the hitting was completely unbelievable. Within the Caribbean, I feel we’ll see bowlers bowling into the pitch, cross-seamers and a bit slower, like our 2010 win over there.

MORGAN: The pattern in direction of excessive scores within the IPL was in all probability essentially the most dramatic for a very long time. It stood out like a sore thumb; the bowlers did not actually have a solution to the best way that batters have been hanging the ball. However I see this World Cup as redemption for the bowlers, with the pitches aiding a recalibration of the sport their method.

Eoin Morgan, Nasser Hussain and Urooj Mumtaz be part of Ian Ward to debate their dream T20 World Cup XI

BUTCHER: Bowlers, as they all the time do in these worldwide tournaments, could have an unlimited say, although they may disappear out of the park. There are too many high-quality ones in these groups for that to not be the case.

WARD: Approach again when, in 2010 when England received the T20 World Cup within the Caribbean, it was slower-ball bouncers that proved efficient. What I am very to see is, what can the bowlers provide you with to attempt to stage the enjoying area this time? They’re up towards it.

Watch each match from the Males’s T20 World Cup dwell on Sky Sports activities between June 2 and 29. England open up towards Scotland in Barbados on Tuesday June 4 (3.30pm first ball) with Eire enjoying India in New York on Wednesday June 5 (additionally 3.30pm).

Advert content material | Stream Sky Sports activities on NOW

Stream Sky Sports activities dwell with no contract on a Month or Day membership on NOW. On the spot entry to dwell motion from the Premier League and EFL, plus darts, cricket, tennis, golf and a lot extra.

Related articles